Thursday 27 May 2021

An Otter on World Otter Day

 It was with perfect timing that when I checked my trail cam that an otter was recorded on site this week and actually this morning.

The smaller of the two otters I have seen on the site appeared three times this week and mostly in the daylight which was exciting especially as I was beginning to think I might have to rename Otter Cam as Red Deer cam.

Sightings had eased off over the past few months but the discovery of some new spraint sites suggest that the site is still well in use and I am hoping that they are now a resident feature. I will be more confident of this once we reach September and have a full 12 months of regular sightings.

In the clip from this week you can see the Otter searching the site and exhibiting territorial behaviour with marking and sprainting. In  the last clip I get the first view of an otter entering the water and you can see she catches a small snack as she enters.


Given that its World Otter Day I am also posting a clip I took in February in the snow showing the sheer exuberance of this species.






No comments:

Post a Comment