Sunday 3 March 2019

Woodcock Camouflage

I have been so busy working on my Masters project that I have had little time to post on this blog.
I have continued to record sightings and collect camera trap data and so I am going to present today a few clips looking at Woodcock.

The Woodcock Scolopax rusticola is an infrequent winter visitor to my sight. It s mostly nocturnal and so gets picked up on my cameras. In 2018 it was seen on 8 occasions between January and March and this year over four days in January and February.


The Woodcock has a sensitive probing beak it uses to sniff out invertebrates, you can see this in a clip I took this week.

The last clip I want to show is also from this week and shows the woodcock in daylight. Note how the brown and black striping make the bird very cryptic and hard to see once it stops moving against the backdrop of the leaves.






No comments:

Post a Comment