Sunday 22 July 2018

Of mice and... moths!

This week our garden bird feeder was visited by some new visitors. I was sat out in the garden hoping to try out my new EchoMeter Touch 2 Bat Detector (review to follow) when I could hear something on one of the bird feeders on the pergola. Taking a closer look I saw a little Wood Mouse. He was joined later by two more.



Since their first sighting they have returned each night and last night was joined by another two that were visiting the bird table.



With the warm weather and a fully charged battery I have been making good use of my moth traps and this weekend got a manageable haul. I m still learning the species and so I do not want too many to overwhelm my ID skills.

I have reached about 50 individual species so far. I plan to do a full exploration of 'mothing' but for now here are some of what I have found.

Dark Arches

Scalloped Oak

A noctuid moth popping out to say hi

No comments:

Post a Comment